Saturday, May 24, 2008

Watching TV

So I have been thinking lately of a time when I was 18. It was the end of my senior year and I really wanted to focus, so I could graduate. I heard a story of a man who had commited one massive act of violence and changed his life forever. After his act, he learned 5 languages and changed his life. He one day got so sick of being empty, that he smashed his tv. I also read a fascinating book at the time called Amusing Ourselves to Death. This book really talks about how watching TV can lower a persons intelligence and life prospects significantly. I really changed my life during that time, went to the gym a lot and was in pretty good chape. Of course eventually I started watching TV again.

I am thinking of giving up TV again. It will free up massive amounts of time in my life that I am just wasting. I mean I am pretty productive right now in some areas of my life, but I could be better. But right now I am thinking of all the shows I will miss and how much I want to know what happens. But why do I attach value to meaningless entertainment? I have been up for over 2 hours today and all I have done is play video games and watch TV. Now there is nothing inherently wrong with entertainment. But my room is still a mess. I need to clean it, I need to sort out a ton of files on my computer, arrange a party tonight for Stickler's birthday, empty the dishwasher, put away some laundry, read up on hired-gun game, go to the gym, go to the park, record shop, look for more jobs, work on sorting out a work visa.......... You get the idea.

I want to be so much more productive than I am. If you guys are keeping track, this is my 100th post! So I need to do something special. So, here it is. I am not going to watch any TV for the next 8 weeks. I am not going to watch any movies on my computer, unless it is on a date. I think adding this change to my life will really move me forward. I am also not going to play Civilization during this time. There is something about that game that makes days disappear for me. It needs to stop. This process is all about change and excising the bad things from our lives. I need to spend more time writing music and doing things that I love and will be proud of. This is a really hard decision for me, since there are some shows I'm really into on tv right now, but growth demands sacrifice. As they say, pain is weakness leaving the body. It's time to let the weakness out of my mind!

0 comments:

Smell My Blog - Template Design | Elque 2007