Saturday, May 10, 2008

Core of My Inner Game

I have been doing a ton of reading in the park this week. And I realized that I should post on Inner Game. There is a ton of discussion in the community right now about Natural Game and Inner Game. I have seen a lot of posts in my local lair about how MM is a weaker system because it is routine based. They argue that you will never learn inner game and that you will become confident in your routines and not yourself. I am working through this very issue. My game confidence is very weak compared to my confidence in other areas. The core of my confidence is not based on other people.
My confidence comes from several sources. The first is that I am deeply religious. This is a rare view in our community and the reason my name is Paladin. I am rather private about my religion, but I did try out over a dozen before I settles on mine. In the same way that I am currently working through. The center of my being is based on my God and my relationship with God. That is a long-term thing and overwhelms anything that can happen in a moment. It provides my center. Of course most guys in this society are not religious and will find it difficult to connect with this.
My moment to moment confidence is based in things more physical. I am an amazing dj. I have been playing for 7 years and I can say that I am one of the most skilled djs in the world. I have headlined events on three continents and I currently have shows on two radio stations in the uk. Now when people ask me about it, I simply say that I am an amazing dj. This is in a way unbelievably cocky. For the first two years I djed, I never told anyone that I was a dj. Everyone I knew was calling themselves a dj, spinning records in their bedrooms. People are usually incredulous or shocked when I talk about my ability. I always follow with the fact that no one has ever disagreed with me after seeing me dj. The proof is in the decks. In the same way as my field skills improve, my field skills improve. I still get massively nervous before every gig I have. But I have had every bad experience a dj can face. I have had one deck fail, both decks fail, the mixer break, no mixer, no headphones, a crowd that hates trance, a bad time slot, been lost, the power to the entire club cut out, been nearly electrocuted to death, had my laptop crash, had my laptop crash and send out the worst-sounding tone of all time.......... You get the idea. All of these are mountains I have overcome. Getting through these defeats is what has forged me as a musician. No matter what happens with girls, I will always be a god on the decks.
I also work as a professional tutor. I teach all subjects, from young children through adults. I have several degrees and years of teaching experience. The other day I told a friend I am the best tutor within 30 miles. They asked how could I possibly know that. I have looked up the competition. I don't travel more than 30 miles for students. I teach students at the most expensive school in the entire UK. If my confidence slips with a student, I could be out of work. I know I am good because I have tons of experience, satisfied customers and references. No matter where I live in the world, I can make money and eat.
You should think about what you are great at. Build your inner game around this. It doesn't matter what the skill is. If you think it's nerdy or lame then it is. If you believe it's amazing, then it is. I used to be on a competitive video game team. I have talked about it with embarrassment and I have talked about it like it's awesome. Let me tell you, how I think of it determines people's response. Be proud of everything you are good at. If you are a master at D&D then brag about your wizard rank. There is nothing more attractive than passion. The nature of the passion itself is almost totally irrelevant. Build yourself around you passion and the universe will be attracted to you!

0 comments:

Smell My Blog - Template Design | Elque 2007